Fried Frog Legs, Parmesan Potato Bricks, Wilted Greens
RECIPE TITLE: Fried Frog Legs, Parmesan Potato Bricks, Wilted Greens
MAIN INGREDIENTS OF THE DISH: Frog, Potato
FLAVOR PROFILE: Acidic, Savory, Buttery, Spicy
SPICES-HERBS-SEASONING: Garlic, Onion, Paprika, Cayenne
TIME TO EXECUTE: Overnight / 30 minutes
For the Potatoes:
- 4 russet potatoes, thinly sliced on mandolin
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 8 tbsp butter, in small pieces
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
For the Others:
- Oil, For shallow Frying
- 2 lb. Frog Legs
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ cup AP Flour
- 1 cup Swiss Chard, blanched
- 1 cup Mustard Greens, blanched
- 1 cup Collard Greens, blanched
- 1 cup Kale, blanched
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 jar Chimichuri Sauce, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400* F. Prep a casserole dish by spraying with cooking spray and lay in a piece of parchment paper. Press into the corners and the bottom to ensure it stays in place. Take the first 3 ingredients and pour them into a large bowl. Mix together so that all the potato slices are coated.
- Take each slice and lay them side-by-side in the casserole dish. Once on level is complete, season the top with a touch of salt and pepper. Place dabs of butter sporadically, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese. Repeat the same process, alternating which way the potatoes face. Repeat until all the potatoes are formed. Press down to make sure the potatoes are compact.
- Place parchment paper on top of potatoes and put in the oven. Cook until a knife can be pressed in a come out clean. Take potatoes and let cool for 30 minutes. Then, place heavy cans on top to press the potatoes together even more. Place in the fridge like this overnight for best results.
- Pour oil in a cast iron pan and heat to 365* F. To test, place a wooden spoon inside and see if it bubbles rapidly. Take next 5 ingredients and toss together in a large bowl. Then season evenly with salt and pepper. Take legs and pat with flour. Place carefully into oil and fry on one side for about 1-2 minutes, or until the flour turns golden brown. Flip and finished cooking for the same amount of time. Remove to a towel lined plate. Repeat process until all are finished.
- Next, in a large pan with a touch of olive oil on medium high heat, toss in all the greens. Cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted, but slightly firm. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onto a plate and wipe the pan clean.
- Take out potatoes and cut them into even bricks, about 8-10 total. Using the clean pan, heat to medium high and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place potato brink inside and sear on all sides for about 45 seconds each. Repeat process until desired number of bricks is reached.
- To plate, Place brick on the plate, wilted greens next to it, and the frog legs gently stacked on top of each other. For an added treat, use your favorite chimichuri sauce or salsa to dip your frog legs in.