Pounded Veal Pizzaiola
2 tbsp olive oil
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 lb veal, pounded thin
1 ½ lb ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp red chili flake
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat, and sweat garlic for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add beef or veal and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned on both sides.
- Add tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Crush oregano lightly in palm of hand, then sprinkle over top. Add chili flake.
- Simmer over a gentle heat for 45 minutes until meat is very tender and sauce has reduced and thickened. At the end, stir in fresh basil to taste.
- Serve the beef slices topped with the pizzaiola sauce.