It’s a good day to be alive #TeamFabio, am I right? Of course I am! When have I ever let you down I did burn my grandma’s kitchen down once, and for that I apologize. But I was young and didn’t know any better, so other than that, I won’t let you down! If you know anything about me, you know that I have a passion for food, a passion for people, and a passion for bringing the two together to make our lives easier. If I didn’t love it so much, I probably wouldn’t be spending my spare time writing this in an attempt to enrich your lives. The truth is that I want to get the most out of my life and food, and that means finding more than one way to use it.
One way you can get a duel use of food is to compost. Now, I get it guys. It stinks. Like, really stinks. But all that stink is going to make for the best vegetables and flowers in your garden. If that’s not up your alley, try this on for size. Did you know that the foods we eat are sometimes the best things for our skin as well? It’s true! Why do you think that supermodels and moms alike put cucumbers on their eyes? It sure as hell isn’t for Halloween. It’s refreshing and revitalizing. Let me let you in on 5 different foods or spices that you have only been using for consumption. Not worried about your skin? Then I’ll do a duel list of products for your skin, followed with my favorite way to use it in food – A Fabio two for one!
• Aloe Vera – For decades, aloe vera has been the king and queen of relief from itching and burning. Hailing from North Africa, this succulent plant soothes thanks to the natural amino acids and anti-inflammatory actions, it eliminates dead skin cells and helps to reduce psoriasis. Fabio’s Way – Remove outer leaf to expose the soft, jelly-like flesh. Chop into small pieces and use for your morning smoothie or freeze them to make ice cubes for summer lemonade that you can snack on when they thaw!
• Cinnamon – Such a landmark spice for centuries, this mildly sweet inner tree bark comes from Southeast Asia. On the health side, it takes care of issues dealing with insulin sensitivity, blemishes, and type 2 diabetes. While stimulating blood circulation, it helps to bring oxygen to the skin and eliminate breakouts. Fabio’s Way – Skip the French toast guys and get out your apples! I make the tastiest applesauce and you don’t even need a glass jar from the store! Cook apples down, add some cinnamon, a touch of honey, and some clove. Your breakfast fruit bowl just got an upgrade. #Boom
• Turmeric – Follow the yellow brick road – The spice that is part of the ginger family is known for its bright yellow color. It’s anti-aging capabilities are what people swoon for in the health and beauty industry. Filled with antioxidants, it helps to keep skin wrinkle-free and counteracts skin-damaging free radicals. Fabio’s Way – Beets and lots of them. Grab cooked golden beets and add a dash of turmeric. While not imparting too much flavor, this spice will dye the beets and give them a beautiful finish. Add chopped capers, shallot, and parsley for the grand finale.
• Sesame Seeds – When heated, these seeds release their oil for a range of uses. Doctors and practitioners alike use it in applications involving topical or soothing actions. Full of fatty acids, the oil can infuse deep into the skin to protect and activate their antioxidant properties. Fabio’s Way – Fresh from the sea tuna or keep it on the land with beef. For tuna, encrust only the top and bottom for a perfect crust when cooked with oil, or put in the blender with parsley, chives, and lemon to make an incredible marinade for your beef. When it hits the grill, the flavors are amazing.
• Pomegranate – The fruit has it all. Difficult to figure out how to get all of the seeds, but once completed, a miracle fruit is what you have! Not to mention it’s full of antioxidants, and it always has crazy high levels of Vitamins C and K. It can be used to promote better collagen synthesis, which helps to fight off wrinkles. That’s something that sounds great to me! Fabio’s Way – Touch the seeds with orange, balsamic vinegar, shallots, and honey to make the most amazing base for vinaigrettes. Toss with fresh kale and top with some pine nuts. Lunch just got better, am I right?
Forget all the mumbo jumbo and scientific properties and know this one fact – It’s so good for you! Everything in moderation is my golden rule, but maybe a touch more of these 5 foods can be used to increase for vitality of life. Have you checked for these in your skin care products? Do you have anymore that you especially like? Let me and my team of culinary gurus help you while you help us! Hit us up from some recipes from our website and take a look at my Facebook page to find what’s new and upcoming in the food world. Because the only wrinkles I want to see on your face are ones from smiling too much! Stay healthy and happy, America, until next time! #LetsTalkAbout